I was recently assigned a task for one of our customers in West Texas to get their servers checking in with WSUS correctly. After talking to a coworker, I found out that since we deploy every virtual machine from a template that has the OS already installed on it. Each virtual machine deployed will have the same “SusClientID” for WSUS that the template has. Here are several steps that you can go through in order to issue each machine a new “SusClientID”: [more]
Stop the Windows Update service “net stop wuauserv”
Delete “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\ SusClientId”
Start the Windows Update service “net start wuauserv”
In a command prompt, run “wuauclt /detectnow”
Following those steps will recreate the string and that system should begin reporting in with a different SusClientID.