Deleting a Corrupt Offline File Off a File Server

From time to time our IT auditors sync offline files back to the server and a file gets corrupt.  The corrupt file is typically 0 KB and is impossible to remove/change permissions/take ownership/etc.  I did some research the other day on how to remove these files.  One of the first "solutions" I came across was to reboot the server into Safe Mode and remove the file that way.  That was incredible unpractical, so I continued searching.  The next solution I came across was so simple it seemed ridiculous… but I tried it anyway… and it worked.  :-)  The solution was to rename the file's parent folder, then rename it back to the original name.  This procedure allowed the file to safely pass over to Elysium.

Networking Windows 2008 Server