At a bank IT consulting customer, the print spooler on both of print cluster nodes was crashing multiple times a day and posting the following error. The DLL in question was part of the Xerox Global Print Driver package.
Faulting application spoolsv.exe, version 6.0.6002.18294, time stamp 0x4c6a9898, faulting module x2utilGO.dll, version 5185.4100.0.0, time stamp 0x4d46e6ea, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0004cf8a, process id 0x778, application start time 0x01cc15d439353ddd. [more]
When looking at the orphaned spool files, I found that some of the files had a .TMP extension. These type of spool files are associated with LPR print jobs. I was able to pull the printer name from the spool file and found the specific printer that sent the job. This printer was added to the network on the evening of the 16th – the print spooler started having issues on the 17.
In looking at the configuration of the printer, the TCP\IP port was set to use the LPR protocol. This was a configuration that we had used on some printers in the past. When the new printer was setup, it was assigned to the port that was used previously (which is a common procedure). Even though the documentation states this printer supports the LPR protocol, it clearly has an issue with this configuration. I set the port back to the Raw protocol and also checked every other Xerox printer port and set it from LPR to Raw where necessary (8 printers total).